Images of my house heritage listed
The images shown here are pictures of my newly heritage listed house.
To access the slide show: Click on the first picture on the left, then click on the slide show icon, then click on the arrow at the top of the page and you are away
Below is the heritage submission by Simon Reeves my heritage consultant
IDENTIFIER HOUSE Citation No N/A
Other name/s Hartland Residence Melway Ref 62 F1
Address 6 Andrew Street Date/s 1959 (designed); 1961-64 (built)
FOREST HILL 1973 (rear addition)
Designer/s Gerrit Hartland Builder/s Gerrit Hartland
Photograph by Built Heritage, April 2017
Location and proposed extent of HO
Heritage Group Residential building (private) Condition Excellent
Heritage Category House Intactness Excellent (sympathetic alts)
Theme/s 6.7 Making homes for Victorians
[subtheme: Architects making homes for themselves]
Recommendation Include on heritage overlay schedule as individual heritage place
Designed in 1959 by Dutch émigré architect Gerrit Hartland for his own family, the house at 6 Andrew Street, Forest Hill, was constructed in stages between 1961 and 1964.
Born in Holland, Gerrit Nicholas Hartland (1930-) studied at trade school after World War II then gained a scholarship to attend technical college. There, he not only took technical subjects but also design (one of his lecturers being eminent Dutch modernist architect Gerrit Rietveld) and an elective in French Gothic
architecture. His interest in architecture was spurred by the many modern villas in the seaside town of
Bergen, near where his family lived. Later, he was drawn to the work of French architect Le Corbusier,
visiting several of his buildings including the Swiss Pavilion at the Cité Universitaire in Paris (1930) and the
Unite d’Habitation flats in Marseilles (1947-52), the latter still under construction at the time.
Migrating to Australia in 1953, Hartland initially worked as a carpenter at Puckapunyal, through which he
became familiar with local building regulations and the imperial system of measurement. He then obtained
a draftsman’s position in the newly-established Melbourne architectural office of Middleton & Talbot. In
1954, Hartland returned to Europe, where he met and later married Australian-born ballroom dancer Joan
Potts; the couple returned to settle permanently in Melbourne in late 1956. After a brief stint working for architect Keith Reid, Hartland took a position in the office of Gregory Simpson (1910-1987), where he would remain for over thirty years. Despite never becoming registered as an architect, Hartland rose to become Simpson’s chief designer, responsible for major office buildings, factories, churches and houses (including one for Simpson’s own sister and another for fellow office member Oswald James).
When Hartland started with Simpson, he and Joan lived in a pre-war bungalow in Canterbury. Planning
to build a house for themselves, they looked at a new subdivision in Forest Hill on the recommendation of a friend who had bought one of the first lots there. Unsewered, with unsealed roads, the estate was densely treed (the agent erected a sign stating ‘axeman
not invited’) and the Hartlands were attracted to a block on Andrew Street with an MMBW easement to the rear, thus averting any future development behind. The title to this land, designated as Lot 4 of LP41355, was transferred to them on 19 June 1959.
Within two months, Hartland had completed working drawings for a modest two-bedroom house on a H-shaped plan, with bedrooms/bathroom and kitchen/living room in separate wings, connected by a glazed link opening onto a courtyard. Unusually for the time, the
house was initially conceived with a structural steel frame (designed by noted engineer Frank Dixon, a regular consultant to Simpson’s office) to be clad in precast concrete panels and weatherboard. This ambitious proposal, however, proved too expensive.
The couple’s limited resources, aggravated by Hartland’s inability to secure bank financing as a ‘foreigner’, delated the project, and a building permit was not obtained from the City of Nunawading until May 1961. Construction unfolded in stages, starting with the rear wing (kitchen/laundry/living/dining rooms). With his technical training and carpentry experience, Hartland did much of the building work himself. He single-handedly assembled the vast braced timber frame, which used a system (devised with input from engineer Tim Gloury, of Wearing, Smith & Gloury) of large-span sawn Oregon beams with spacers that allowed the beams to slot neatly over the posts. The beams were grooved so that ceiling and wall linings(respectively Caneite panels and Tasmanian Oak boards) would slot into place. Windows were similarly detailed as a discrete infill, including narrow sashless sliding windows along the eaves line. Second-hand quarter-inch plate glass was used throughout. Externally, the roof was clad with bituminous felt, and the walls with Meranti (a rainforest hardwood) in 6” vertical boards with 3” battens to the joints.
The rear wing, which included the compact timber-lined kitchen and a freestanding concrete fireplace with metal flue, was completed just before Christmas 1962. Construction of the front wing, with bedrooms and bathroom, was hastened by the birth of the couple’s twin boys in 1963; work was finally completed in June 1964. Following the birth of a daughter in 1967, Hartland drew plans for a third wing to the rear, providing an extra bedroom (with en suite bathroom and dressing room) and study. The L-shaped addition, carefully designed to echo the form, finishes and detailing of the original house (and also create a second courtyard), was completed in January 1973. By this time, Hartland had risen to become a senior member of Greg Simpson’s practice, which would be renamed Simpson, Gillies & Hartland to acknowledge the input of its two longest serving staff members (the other, Ted Gillies, joined in the 1960s). After Simpson retired, Hartland remained with the firm until it was dissolved in the early 1990s due to the Recession. He then briefly undertook contract work (a highlight of which was designing the observation deck at the Rialto Towers) before retiring in 1995.
He and his wife continue to reside at the Andrew Street house; as of August 2017, the Hartlands have lived there for almost 55 years, during which very few changes have been made to the property.
The house at 6 Andrew Street, Forest Hill, is a single-storey butterfly-roofed timber house in a distinctive modernist style. Originally laid out on an H-shaped plan (two wings joined by a glazed link), it now has an offset E-shaped plan, due to a rear wing added in 1973. Materials, finishes and detailing are consistent across all phases. The trabeated timber structure is clearly expressed with exposed posts, beams and rafters. External walls have vertical board-and-batten hardwood cladding. Openings are expressed as narrow horizontal window bays just below the eaves line, or as larger half-height windows, full-height window walls or glazed sliding doors. External timberwork, which includes integrated pergola frames (and a flat-roofed carport to the street frontage), have a dark creosote finish, with door and window frames in a contrasting white painted finish. The front door is painted in an eye-catching bright yellow.
The house is enhanced by its garden setting, which not only includes two paved and landscaped courtyards but also numerous mature trees and more recent plantings maintained by the Hartland family. The unusual front letterbox, expressed as a stark rectilinear mass of off-form concrete, echoes the shape, finishes and detailing of the freestanding concrete fireplace that divides the living and dining rooms within.
By his own admission, Hartland is an eclectic designer who has drawn from a range of stylistic sources. While his long career has encapsulated many building types, he has designed only a few houses. His own home in Andrew Street, Forest Hill, designed in 1959 and fully completed by 1964, was the first of these.
Later examples, all of which are located outside the City of Whitehorse, include houses for fellow staff member Oswald James in Harrington Avenue, Balwyn North (c1963), for factory client Doug Hutchison in Yarra Street, Kew (c1964), for Greg Simpson’s sister in Alwyn Street, Croydon (c1965), and, much later, a second house for Doug Hutchison, in Fenwick Street, Kew (1980s). Like his own house, these reveal a mix of influences, including not only International Modernism and de Stijl, but also Japanese architecture. Hartland is otherwise represented in the City of Whitehorse by a few larger-scale non-residential projects. In the 1960s, he designed a large Brutalist-style office block at the factory complex of paper manufacturers Bowater-Scott Pty Ltd in Ailsa Street, Box Hill. During the 1970s and ’80s, he designed classroom blocks for two local private schools: St Luke the Evangelist’s School at 46 Orchard Grove, Blackburn South, and St Phillip’s Catholic Primary School at 60 Junction Road, Nunawading. Amongst all of Hartland’s local projects, his own house stands not only as the earliest one and the only house, but also as the one that, being his own private residence for over half a century, retains the strongest association with him.
More broadly, Hartland’s house demonstrates the important sub-theme of architect’s own residences in the City of Whitehorse. However, it contrasts to more academic modernist examples such as Stuart McIntosh’s house at 24 Arnott Street, Mont Albert North (1954), Charles Weight’s house at 1 Gracefield Drive, Box Hill North (1955), and Bolius Kunciunas’s house at 65 Esdale Street, Nunawading (1960), all characterised by stark volumetric massing and plain surfaces. Hartland’s house does have some elements in common with these: its plan combines the H-shaped zoning (as seen in Weight’s house) with semi-enclosed courtyards (as used by Kunciunas), as well as the ubiquitous full-height glazing, low roofs and broad eaves.
Hartland’s house is notable for the way in which it reveals less common strands of modernism. The finely crafted timberwork not only attests to his carpentry skills, but also to the influence (by his own admission) of Austrian-American architect Richard Neutra (1892-1970). A former employee of Frank Lloyd Wright, Neutra practiced in Southern California from the 1920s until the 1960s; his simple vocabulary of bold structural expression in timber has clear echoes in Hartland’s own house. Hartland has also stated that the
Dutch modernists of the De
Stijl movement (viz architect Gerrit Rietveld and painters Theo von Doesburg and Piet Mondriaan) have been an enduring influence in his career; in his own house, this is apparent in the smooth interplay of planar surfaces (eg sashless windows
and smooth interlocking of wall/ceiling linings with structural members), the long narrow window bays below the eaves, and the bright yellow front door.
As an example of an architect’s own house revealing the influence of some less commonly-seen flavours of modernism, Hartland’s house is perhaps most comparable to the residence of another European émigré: the former home of German-born architect Klaus Veltjens at 29 Naughton Grove, Blackburn (1964).
What is significant?
The Hartland Residence at 6 Andrew Street, Forest Hill, is a butterfly-roofed timber house on an offset Eshaped plan incorporating two courtyards. It was designed in 1959 by Dutch-born Gerrit Hartland (then employed in the office of Gregory Simpson) as his own family residence. Completed in two stages from 1961 to 1964, the house was later extended to the rear, in a matching style, in 1973. The significant fabric is defined as the entire exterior of the house, including carport and integrated pergolas. The two landscaped courtyards, and the concrete letterbox, are also deemed to be significant.
How is it Significant?
The Hartland Residence satisfies the following criteria for inclusion on the heritage overlay schedule to the City of Whitehorse planning scheme:
Criterion E: Importance in exhibiting particular aesthetic characteristics
Criterion H: Special association with the life or works of a person of importance to our history
To view the slideshow
Click on the first picture on the left,
then click on the slide show icon.
then click on the arrow at the top of the page and you are away